Solo Taipei Trip- Day 1 Dan Shui 淡水

02:11


Here I am, finally got some time to sit down and write about my detailed Taiwan trip. Should I write about my hiking trip to 金面山 first? Obviously from my blog title you'd know I'm not writing bout it yet. I'm quite tired now so better write something less intense first.

So here is the Dan Shui train station. I really liked the red-bricked station, dunno why it gives me the Korean vibes. Basically 淡水 is a place where many locals go to. It's a fishing area and night market. Many families come here to spend their evening and eventually have dinner here I guess. It's a picnic perfect place. 



Basically you can come empty handed and still have a picnic going on. They have the conventional shops here at the station like 7-11 and there's one selling sushi bento as well. If not, simply just head into the night market to get food. 



I found a nice spot and sat down sipping the coffee I bought from 7-11. I can tell you it was one of those moments you find peace with nature and also yourself. I kinda felt that the moment froze. I was sitting there, seeing scenes of children playing hide-and-seek with their parents and grandparents, owners walking their dogs and bunch of friends having fun together. It is as if my soul was cleansed lol, but with this kinda breathtaking view, chilly wind and these heart warming scenes I really felt so at peace.

This was the view from where I sat, but I was actually paying more attention to a boy playing hide-and-seek with his grandma. The grandma went to hide but cannot seem to not look for the grandson whose eyes were closed and were counting from 10 to 1. 
 They were having such a good time. To think of it, how many kids now actually talk and play with their grandma? What they cannot stop doing is to have their eyes and hands glued to smartphones or tablets. Much feels... Hmm.. I don't remember ever playing hide-and-seek with my grandma before she passed away.

They rent bikes and provide special lanes here so feel free and safe to ride. 










Hello uncle, I think you didn't know you accidentally posed for me 



Here comes a short part on the night market, first of all I wasn't really hungry and second, i'm not a foodie. Hence the brief part. 


Sooo, the minute I saw this I was like "omg isn't this the one ppl had in Korea??" I quickly got my hands on it. IT WAS REEEALLY DISAPPOINTING =( but how bad was it??? 

1. It melted wayyyy too quickly. Only 1 explanation, it contained too much water/liquid. (which brings to the second point)
2. It didn't taste like chocolate vanilla ice-cream at all! It didn't even taste like ice-cream. There's no vanilla nor chocolate taste to it =(
3. The cone/biscuit wasn't crunchy at all, as a matter of fact, it was soft. "简单来说-就是漏风了"

Next, I ate something filling. This was really average. But extra points given as the boss is some Mandarin-speaking Arabian guy who kept promoting “不好吃,不用给钱”
Our Tandoori is much much better la


Lastly-quail eggs. Also mehh, so so only.


Thank God I didn't come for the food. The view was what I wanted. Somewhere relaxing for me to have some peace of mind. My ultimate advice is... Go to Dan Shui! but go for view not food.

Here's a video (which I really didn't plan at all) of me walking around Dan Shui. I really liked the game stations, you cannot find them in Malaysia's night market. (Imagining those scenes where the guy is an expert shooter then gets the girl the biggest teddy bear...)



Update: 戀戀時光三重館 (Time House)
I wanted to share where I stayed in this Day 1 post. So I booked a room through Agoda for 3 days 2 nights. It was a female dormitory with 2 beds in 1 room. Bear in mind, this hostel does not have 24 hours check in. There is only 1 staff that takes care of everything, from checking-in to making up the room. 

Price: 
HKD 138.44 for 2 nights, which is equivalent to RM77 or NTD534 (DIRT CHEAP!!).  

Location: 
Here is the address- No.2, Aly. 1, Ln. 50, Zhonghua Rd. 
Chinese: 中華路50巷1弄2號
I think the location is not the best but is fine, it's a 10-minutes bus ride from the Taipei station. There are eateries in the neighburhood and 24-hours convenient shop like Family Mart. 

Facilities/Amenities: 
The hostel provided basic things like coffee, cup noodles, pots and utensils, eggs, washing machine and dryer. In the room, towel, slippers, cup and hangers are prepared. 

Pictures: 

Nearby eateries: 


If you haven't read the other posts: 

xoxo, Mel

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe