What is it like to work overseas (alone)?

18:00

As Malaysian Ringgit (MYR) drops to a whole new level, I’m sure many Malaysians especially fresh grads and youngsters are considering career opportunities overseas. It’s saddening and worrying that a mere RM2xxx monthly salary is insufficient to pay bills, invest, go travel, pay PTPTN and most importantly, SAVE.

photo source: http://bit.ly/2oPNjbL
While it has only been 1 year plus since I’ve graduated and entered the working world, I think I can share a thing or two about working overseas with you. So you’ve been having this thought “I wanna earn SGD” “I wanna go out of Malaysia” but you really don't know what to expect. Read on to get an idea of it.

1) HOMESICK

As cliché as it sounds, I think this is the number one ‘feels’ for me. I didn’t leave Penang until I graduated from Uni (well I did spend 4 months in KL for my internship in KL). So the point is, for all of you who have been in your own home/comfort zone your entire life, surrounded by family and friends, this will surely be something that you’ll be experiencing.

I have a very closely knitted family (and also extended family), being away from them is one of the most difficult things I have to deal with every day. But I guess this is applicable not only for working, but also students studying abroad. The only difference is that student life might be more relaxed and fun because you haven’t “officially entered the adulthood”. You still have your sem break and can plan some getaway trips or back-to-Malaysia-trips easily. Working is much more different, you need to apply leave and see if it’s approved or even sometimes work just cling to you so much that you cannot leave.

For my case, my job nature is operational. So I don’t have the privilege of working regular hours and days in a week. It’s so difficult to find the time to talk to my family (even though internet made everything so much easier now L ) Sometimes when I’m available, they’re already sleeping. When there’s public holiday in Malaysia, I have to work. (ohh I just saw that April 24 is listed as a PH, nice for all of you!)

On the phone with family
It’s not only the people that you miss, you’ll also miss things and food. Believe or not, sometimes I miss the traffic in Penang. When you are trapped in the jam, you have time to look at the roads, the shops and the passers-by, just practically everything. And FOOD, oh how I’ve missed you my dear Hokkien Mee, Bak Kut Teh, Roti Canai, Nasi Lemak, Kopi, Laksa and the list just goes on.

I will always make time for Nasi Kandar and a nice cup of Teh Tarik each time before I fly from KLIA2, it's really really good


2) ALONE TIME (A LOT OF THEM)

When you are at home, there are times where you just cannot stand you mom’s nagging or your elder siblings bossing you around. Or when that ‘favourite’ auntie who won’t seem to stop asking you about your result, job, boyfriend/girlfriend, what you wear, what you eat, your height, your weight and almost everything else visits again. You just feel like banging your head on the wall and long for your own personal time, your much needed “Me Time”.

Well, fret not, all these won’t happen when you’re overseas (unless your auntie flies to see you, then good luck :P) You’ll most probably spend 90% of the time alone. That means lunch, dinner, shopping, groceries and even traveling alone! I’m already so used to eating by myself, shopping & asking for my own opinions (haha!) and taking the public transportation on my own.

The time when I traveled to Taipei on my own
At first, you might find it uneasy or feel sad about it, but you’ll get used to it very soon. Some people actually prefer this kinda life, as you get to find out more about yourself.

"Makan sendiri" tiap tiap hari

3) MISSING OUT GATHERINGS

When my baby nephew was born, I didn’t get to be there to hold him and to attend the full-moon/ 1 year old party. When my sister graduated, I wasn’t there to witness her convocation and help her to take lots of pictures like she did during mine. My classmates from high school held the first gathering after 7 years and of course I couldn’t make it as well. Just this year, I wasn’t there during Chinese New Year. My ang paos are still with my mom (thanks everyone who didn’t forget about me! hee =P)

You get what I mean, when important events takk place, you just cannot make it because you are 4 hours or 7 hours flight away. You cannot just spend few hundred or thousands ringgit to board the plane every time there’s an event going on.

Celebrated CNY by myself by dressing up and heading to the mall for CNY decor


4) FACING THINGS ON YOUR OWN

You know how everyone in the house looks for ‘MOM’ whenever they have a trouble or needed solutions? Yeah, that won’t be applicable when you’re away. No one will help you to prepare your breakfast and serve it when you’re awake, force you to take the awful cough syrup when you start coughing, or fetch you to the doctor when you’re feeling a little under the weather and so on.

When you’re at home, you seem to have many ‘helping hands’. I could ask my dad to help pick up some documents from Uni or have my sister to print some files and my mom to collect packages at home. But when you’re overseas, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. You gotta deal it by yourself. For example: checking out where’s the place to get the best exchange rate, which phone plan to get, how to apply Visa to visit another country and etc.

As I mentioned, I’m very close with my family and share everyday story with them when we’re at home. Sometimes I just go home and bla everything to my dad/mom. It’s a different story when you’re away because you’ll hesitate whether it is necessary to share with them about this particular incident. Will you make them worry more? You'll have to find ways to overcome challenges and troubles by your own. 

5) DOUBTING

From time to time, you’ll question yourself.

“Is this all worth it?”
“Shall I just leave and go back?” 

These questions echo in your head, which is totally normal. Who doesn’t want to be back in the arms of their loved ones? This is something that you have think properly. Whenever I have these doubts, I remind myself of my purpose and why I decided to work overseas in the first place. If you still think the purpose as something important, that’s how you know that you want to keep doing this.

All these aside, if you are hungry for adventures, for a different life experience, then do it! Do it first then regret later (LOL I’m kidding), I mean rationally consider first then decide. 

I thank my family for their endless support especially emotionally. They constantly motivate me and remind me how much they love me and that kept me moving forward. I’m starting the countdown to go home. Almost a month before I’m back to my sweet sweet Penang and my bed and everything.

Who wants postcard from me?!

-Mel-

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe